Thursday, May 31, 2012

The Chore Chart

Wow, talk about a blog break!  It's been so long since I've posted anything.  We've had so much going on that I just have not had the time to stop and journal it.  Okay, back on track.

With summer upon us, I really wanted to start fresh and get the kids to help a bit around the house.  In the past, I've tried posters, reward systems, and stickers (which ended up glued to everything in the house) and they just didn't work out for us.  So I when I saw the chore cards idea, I figured I'd give it a try.
 

It was pretty easy to make.  I find some vintage images on the web and had them laminated at Staples.  The rings were really cheap and I bought them at Hobby Lobby; I'm so glad we finally got one! 


The board is actually a scrap piece of wood my husband cut for me and I painted it to match the colors in the laundry room.  I stapled the ribbon to the back so I could hang it.  Using puff paint, I wrote each child's name on the board and it's their job to complete all the cards by the end of the day.  I know, no rewards, but I really wanted them to get used to doing a job not expecting anything for it except the satisfaction of a job well done.  So far, it's working brilliantly!  Ethan, in particular, is doing a fantastic job making his bed each morning without me reminding him.  I guess making a bed when you're four is fun...for now.

I wanted to show a before and after of the laundry room but I couldn't find the pictures.  Just imagine a completely white room..white walls, floor, you get the idea.  Okay, here's the after.




It's small but functional and so much nicer to fold or iron in there now.  It's amazing what a coat of paint and some color can do for a space.  I know I'm a bit late to the craze, but I have a newly found love for chalkboard paint.  I painted it on a piece of strong cardboard that backed the frame I already had and it worked out perfectly.

I'm linking up to Kristen's Creation's today to share.  Have a great day!

5 comments:

  1. Hi lovely lady.
    Happy to see you are back to Bloging.. This Launder room is WOW. I love your Red washer and dryer !! It nice to work together with your Hubby. I hope you have a wonderful evening.
    XXOO Diane
    I will come back to see you. I wish you had a button so I would know if you post...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice idea - I don't have any little ones, but my first grandchild is due any day now - maybe it's something I can show the new mom to be for later! BTW - love the new laundry room - great pops of color!
    Hugs -
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's adorable and a great idea too. Wish I had blogger friends when I was raising my girls. I love the colring you've used too. I'm also at Kelly's Korner.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm visiting for a visit from Kelly's Korner.
    I love your laundry room. It's bright and cheerful.
    And I love your washer and dryer. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete