Monday, January 31, 2011

You Want What???

Toilet rolls here, toilet rolls there, toilet rolls everywhere. Here's a little peak at what I'm working on right now. I just started putting it together last night and I'm not even close to being done but I really wanted to join the "newbie" party at Debbiedoos blogging and blabbing. I've been asking my family to save their toilet rolls and trying to explain (although not very well) what I was planning on doing with them.

See, it all started with a sad, blank wall. I've been looking for just the right accent piece to hang for a while now but I couldn't find anything in my budget. However, that was before I stumbled upon Suzy's Artsy Craftsy Sitcom. Here's the link: http://www.suzyssitcom.com/2010/12/feature-friday-faux-metal-wall-art.html. She made four faux metal frames out of, you guessed it, toilet rolls! How creative is that? I thought they looked amazing and was inspired to make my own. The only thing I needed was the balsa wood which I bought at Michael's.
So taking a bit of creative license, I decided to make one large frame to better fit my narrow wall. Although I didn't have a pattern, I decided I would make a ton of curls (from the rolls) and see what I could come up with. When all the curls are glued in place, I'll spray paint it a gray or soft black to mimic wrought iron. If it works out, great! I have a unique conversation piece. If not, I'm hoping my sweet, husband will take pity on my efforts and take me to Kirkland's. Either way, it's a win, win situation! Check in with me later on this week to see the finished product. Have a great week!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a creative process. Can't wait to see the finished process!

    ReplyDelete